Buying a Hedge Trimmer for your garden.
Now I’m no closet expert on hedges, but in the house we have we have one whole fence line in hedges and then 2 more sections of hedge that need trimming once a month at the moment and I’m yet to experience what it’s like to trim hedges through a summer in Brisbane, all I knew to start with was I had to buy a Hedge Trimmer.
From my initial looking, it was hard to find quality information on a trimmer as there are so many brands around, I just knew from the guy who owned the place before that I needed a Multi Tool Power Head with the Articulated Hedge Trimmer Attachment.
What brand to buy was next, the old owner had a Shindaiwa Multi Tool System but there are many brands out there that make Hedge Trimmers of all sizes and shapes, there is Stihl, Black and Decker, Ryobi, Flymo, Tanika, Ozito, Gardenline, Husqvarna, Bosch, Arlec, BBT, Honda, Dingo, Talon, GMC, Poulan, Jonsered, Homelite, Baumr, Viking, Masport, McCulloch, FNI, MTM, Metabo, Pope, Kawasaki, Randy & Travis, Dynamic Power, Echo, Parklander, Sanli, AL-KO, Victa, Raiden and lastly even Remington have a Hedge Trimmer, they all come in 2 Stroke, 4 Stroke, Electric, Cordless Battery as well.
I ended up (after a few trips to Bunnings and Masters to have a look) to the same place at Burpengary where I bought my mower, they are Honda dealers but carry a few more brands too, DJ’S Mower Services, 178 Station Rd, Burpengary, Ph 07 3888 0243, they have been around for a while and I have found them nothing but pleasant and helpful, they have all types of mowers too including ride on’s.
I ended up with the Echo PAS265ES Split Boom Power Head and the Articulated Hedge Trimmer Attachment.
The sales pitch to justify me buying this model and brand was the best value for price and quality and also more suited to the job I have to do.
So when you look at buying a Hedge Trimmer, you have to ask yourself these questions.
These are in no order, just a brain dump.
• What do I need the Hedge Trimmer for?
• How much do I have to spend on a Hedge Trimmer?
• Can I lift the Hedge Trimmer I am buying?
• Do I buy the Petrol (2 Stroke or 4 Stroke), Electric or Wireless Battery Hedge Trimmer?
• If I buy the Electric Hedge Trimmer, do I have enough power leads and a socket outside?
• Do I have the Storage Space for a Hedge Trimmer?
• Will the Hedge Trimmer fit in my car to take home?
• Where do I buy a Hedge Trimmer from?
• Do I need to buy protective gear for when I’m Hedge Trimming?
• Do I buy a standard Hedge Trimmer or an Articulated Trimmer?
• What is an Articulated Hedge Trimmer?
• Am I getting the best value for money and quality for my purchase?
So this covers a few things I went through when I went to purchase the Hedge Trimmer, I’ll write about how I’m going now and then as I’ve never taken care of Hedges before and so now have a fast and steep learning curve.