One of our kids has a crazy hat day and loves to shuffle, so what better hat to make than Boxhead from LMFAO, this is the robot head like figure that shuffles when LMFAO is belting out “Party Rocking” or “Sexy and I know it”.
All you need for this is a box (I have used a smaller box here, like a mini me boxhead), scissors, cellotape / sticky tape, 2 x cups, a bit of black cloth mesh, a red colouring in pencil and some form of packing to take up a bit of space in the top of the box.
• Find suitable box and see if it fits on child’s head.
• Undo box and reverse so the brown is on the outside and then re stick.
• Place box on head and roughly gauge where to cut mouth.
They have to see out of this hole, so it has to be a little low.
• Cut mesh to suit, I got my cloth mesh from an old gym bag, stick mesh from inside to back of mouth hole.
• Try on box and see if child can see out of it.
• Pack out top of box inside to suit child’s head.
I used a couple of blow up air packs and the taped them in the top of the box, this made the box, when on the head sit at exactly the right height for the child to look out the mouth and see where they are going.
• Cut the paper cups down to their base.
Best way to do this is cut from the top on an angle and slowly cut around the cup moving down each round, you’ll end up with a piece of cardboard shaped like a curly wurly, cut right to the base and then straighten up the edges.
• Double up the tape and then stick the eyes onto the boxhead / robot head.
• Colour the eyes red.
• Place box on head and start shufflin’.
There you have it, it took about an hour and a half from scratch (Finding the box etc and tidying up), not too hard, not to taxing on time either and you end up with one happy kid shufflin’ all day.